Keybind Files

The Phoenix Division's science section for guides and resources.

Moderator: Fleet Leaders

daBelgrave
Leader

Keybind Files

Postby daBelgrave » August 6th, 2012, 11:04 pm

The easiest way to maintain keybinds is to place them all within the same file. This is a generic text file located within your Star Trek Online/Live program folder. You can then load this file in the game using /bind_load_file <filename>.txt

For advanced usage purposes, I have two keybind files for space, with a keybind in each that loads the other. Most of the binds are exact copies of those in the other file, but some of them are different.

Bindfile: Space1.txt
Fleet Window
Control+f "GenSendMessage Root ShowFleet"

Quick Messages
- ChannelSend Team Everyone target $target.
equals ChannelSend Team Can I get a heal over here?

Power Presets
F9 "GenButtonClick PowerLevel_Preset_0"
F10 "GenButtonClick PowerLevel_Preset_1"
F11 "GenButtonClick PowerLevel_Preset_2"
F12 "GenButtonClick PowerLevel_Preset_3"

Directional Shield Distribution
w "+power_exec Distribute_Shields $$ +invertibleup"
a "+power_exec Distribute_Shields $$ +left"
s "+power_exec Distribute_Shields $$ +invertibledown"
d "+power_exec Distribute_Shields $$ +right"

DBB
y "trayexecbytraywithbackup 1 4 0 4 1 $$ +trayexec 4 2 $$ +power_exec Distribute_Shields"

Tactical Team Chain
t "trayexecbytraywithbackup 1 4 3 4 4 $$ +power_exec Distribute_Shields"

Attack Pattern Chain
g "trayexecbytraywithbackup 1 4 5 4 6 $$ +power_exec Distribute_Shields"

Camera Zoom
Wheelplus "AdjustCamDistance -15"
Wheelminus "AdjustCamDistance 15"

Middleclick "bind_load_file Space2.txt $$ Playersay Switched to Mousewheel Throttle."
Bindfile: Space2.txt
Fleet Window
Control+f "GenSendMessage Root ShowFleet"

Quick Messages

Power Presets

DBB
y "trayexecbytraywithbackup 1 4 0 4 1 $$ +trayexec 4 2 $$ +power_exec Distribute_Shields"

Tactical Team Chain
t "trayexecbytraywithbackup 1 4 3 4 4 $$ +power_exec Distribute_Shields"

Attack Pattern Chain
g "trayexecbytraywithbackup 1 4 5 4 6 $$ +power_exec Distribute_Shields"

Throttle
Wheelplus "throttleadjust .25"
Wheelminus "throttleadjust -.25"

Middleclick "bind_load_file Space1.txt $$ Playersay Switched to Mousewheel Zoom."
The hardest part in making these bindfiles was learning how to list mouse buttons. To do this, I changed a bind in the game to the mouse, did /bind_save_file <filename>.txt, and then looked at the generated bindfile. Since game-generated bindfiles only list custom keybinds, anything changed from the default settings will be in there. I then erase any changes made by reverting back to default. Hey, it's not a big loss when it's simple just to reload the bindfile with all your custom keybinds.

Do you have questions about my keybinds or how to make your own? If so, I'm here to answer them!
daBelgrave
Leader

Chaining Commands

Postby daBelgrave » August 6th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Combining multiple commands to a single bind improves the efficiency of battle. Most chaining utilizes $$ to add another command to the bind. This works best with generic commands like +power_exec Distribute_Shields that are basic UI commands that can run simultaneously.

The process gets more complicated when working with multiple commands from the ability tray since those commands are only utilized one at a time, requiring multiple presses of the button to activate multiple commands. The basic command to activate a command from the ability tray is +trayexec <row> <column>. Since the computer starts the count from zero, the actual numbers used in the command are one less than what the UI shows. This method is chained by using +trayexec <row> <column> $$ +trayexec <row> <column>, but only activates one ability per key press.

I prefer to utilize a somewhat different command: trayexecbytraywithbackup 1 <row> <column> <row> <column>. The purpose of this command is to activate the first ability, or move on to the second backup ability if the first is on cooldown. The benefit is I don't get any error beeps for abilities on cooldown unless both of them are on cooldown. I'm pretty certain it also requires fewer key presses in the long run.

A good example of how I use a combination of these commands is in my keybind to load and fire a beam overload:
Keybind_Chain_Row_DBB.png
Keybind_Chain_Row_DBB.png (27.45 KiB) Viewed 13908 times
As you can see, this keybind activates the first three abilities 0, 1, and 2 (1,2,3 in the UI), in ability tray row 4 (5 in the UI). It starts by activating the Beam: Overload III ability, or moving to the second ability if that's on cooldown. I used to have a second beam ability there, but lost that when changing ships. After activating one of the first two abilities, the second part of the bind fires my Dual Beam Bank. I do not keep this weapon on autofire, so it usually fires as soon as the Beam: Overload III is ready. I then end the keybind with the command to distribute shields. All of this can happen with a single key press, and provides me with the benefit of well-timed attacks. If I were to use only the +trayexec command for this, it would take three or more keypresses to activate each part of the keybind.
daBelgrave
Leader

Complex Teamwork Functions

Postby daBelgrave » February 15th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Here is a complex multi-file keybind. The first keybind file does three things. First, it loads the second keybind file, second, it changes my power levels to my aux preset, and third it tells the team to prepare to focus fire on the soon-to-be-affected target.

Subnuc_1.txt
s "bind_load_file Subnuc_2.txt $$ GenButtonClick PowerLevel_Preset_3 $$ ChannelSend Team I plan to SUBNUC >> $target << in 5 seconds. Ready your attacks."
The second keybind file does four things. First it reloads the first keybind file, second, it activates my subnuc, third, it sets my power levels back to my weapons preset, and finally it tells the team who I just subnuced.

Subnuc_2.txt
s "bind_load_file Subnuc_1.txt $$ +STOTrayExecByTray 0 5 $$ GenButtonClick PowerLevel_Preset_0 $$ ChannelSend Team SUBNUC on >> $target << confirmed. Hit him hard!"
Attachments
This shows where in my ability tray I currently have my subnuc (Row 1, column 5). Note, this does not depict accurately the rest of my current setup.
This shows where in my ability tray I currently have my subnuc (Row 1, column 5). Note, this does not depict accurately the rest of my current setup.
daBelgrave
Leader

Something Useful in Ground

Postby daBelgrave » March 31st, 2013, 6:53 pm

Make a keybind file for ground, and add this to it:
Quick Messages

Combat
c "+crouch $$ +aim"
x "+crouch $$ +aim"
Spomek
Leader

Re: Keybind Files

Postby Spomek » March 31st, 2013, 7:03 pm

This is the blockade.txt that I got somewhere.

Quick Messages

Power Presets

Torps (TS2, TS1, HYT)
t "trayexecbytraywithbackup 1 4 0 4 1 $$ +trayexec 4 2 $$ +power_exec Distribute_Shields"

Repulsors / Tractor Beam
g "trayexecbytraywithbackup 1 4 2 4 3 $$ +power_exec Distribute_Shields"

Freighter Heal (TT, TSS)
h "+trayexec 4 4 $$ +trayexec 4 5 $$ +power_exec Distribute_Shields"

Extra1
h "trayexecbytraywithbackup 1 4 6 4 7 $$ +power_exec Distribute_Shields"

Extra2
c "trayexecbytraywithbackup 1 4 8 4 9 $$ +power_exec Distribute_Shields"
daBelgrave
Leader

Postby daBelgrave » March 31st, 2013, 7:47 pm

Spomek wrote:This is the blockade.txt that I got somewhere.
Yeah, that looks like an old keybind file of mine, although I never had it named blockade.txt.
daBelgrave
Leader

Postby daBelgrave » April 5th, 2013, 11:16 am

If you have your Fireworks emote slotted in tray 1, position 10, try this for some fun:

space "FireAll $$ +power_exec Distribute_Shields $$ +trayexec 0 9"
Spomek
Leader

Postby Spomek » April 7th, 2013, 10:27 am

Might this be considered space combat spam? lol
daBelgrave
Leader

Postby daBelgrave » April 7th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Spomek wrote:Might this be considered space combat spam? lol
Call it strategy... You're using the flashing lights to distract the enemy from noticing everything else you're doing.
daBelgrave
Leader

Postby daBelgrave » May 9th, 2015, 12:15 pm

Well, I discovered last night that bindfiles cannot have the Headers and Notes in them anymore. So if you have something like

Code: Select all

Power Presets
you need to remove the Header so you only have

As far as I can tell, the game has been taking the first letter in the title, and trying to make a bind for it.... Unsuccessfully. This explains some of the keybind problems I've been having since Season 8.

Anyway, the latest thing I tried to keybind are my Pilot Maneuvers. These work normally by either clicking the maneuver UI or double tapping your movement keys. However, I use the mouse for all my movement, so I wanted to use only a single tap of my movement keys to execute the Pilot Maneuvers. After some extensive testing and playing with the system, I found that there is no single command to activate any of them. Instead, you need to trick the system into believing you activated two commands. In the end, I got them to work by using:

w "+roll $$ +invertibleup"
a "+roll $$ +left"
s "+roll $$ +invertibledown"
d "+roll $$ +right"
...and for a fun time while you're sitting still in System space, /++left.
:lol: