DOFFing Resources

The Phoenix Division's science section for guides and resources.

Moderator: Fleet Leaders

daBelgrave
Leader

DOFFing Resources

Postby daBelgrave » August 22nd, 2012, 12:16 pm

Chat Channels
  • /Channel_Join DOFFCALLS - Call out (or let others call out) available assignments. This channel is not for general discussion.
  • /Channel_Join DOFFJOBS - Discuss Duty Officers and pretty much anything else.
Guides Spreadsheets / Tracking
  • DOFFTREKKER3: This Google Drive spreadsheet contains updated information about available assignments, along with per-character tracking of assignments and unique rare and very rare duty officers.
  • DOFFJOBS: This is the companion spreadsheet for DOFFTREKKER. It provides the raw assignment availability information, and is worth using if DOFFTREKKER seems too complex.
daBelgrave
Leader

DOFFTREKKER For Dummies

Postby daBelgrave » August 22nd, 2012, 1:51 pm

While DOFFTREKKER is probably the most useful duty officer tracking resource available, there is also some complexity. The spreadsheet obtains assignment availability information from another source that is updated by players. Because of this, some information might be slow, outdated, or erroneous. Most information, however, is good.

1. Make sure you have a Google Drive account. If you already have a Google account for one of their other services, this should not be much of a problem.

2. Go to http://bit.ly/DOFFTREKKER3. This is a shortcut link to a Google Drive document owned by another player.

3. Select File -> Make a copy...

4. Enter a new name for the document. This is the name it will have in your Google Drive. I tend to use "DOFFTREKKER" and whatever version number it is.

5. Now the document needs updated settings, specifically when it comes to timezones. Select File -> Spreadsheet settings...

6. You should now see a box with options. Change the timezone to your own. Click on Save settings.

7. Now you need to change the timezone in the script. Select Tools -> Script editor...

8. You are now looking at a document within the document. There will be code on the page that you probably don't understand. Ignore the code. Select File -> Product properties...

9. You should now see a box with options. Only change the timezone, and make it match the timezone you used in step 6. Click Save when you're done.

10. It's probably safe to close the script editor now, but just to be safe, first click on the floppy disk icon to make sure it's saved. Then you can close the script editor. Congratulations. You now have the spreadsheet ready to use.

11. You will now make a page for your character. Select the tab at the bottom titled FED Character. Right click that tab or select the dropdown button to bring up a list of options. Select Duplicate to make a copy of the page.

12. Select the tab for the copy you just made, and bring up the list of options. Select Rename...

13. You now have a box where you can enter a new name for that tab. Put in your character's name.

14. Also type in your character's name at the top of the spreadsheet. You can now use this spreadsheet page to track that character's duty officer progress.

15. Keeping track of duty officer assignments makes use of timestamps so you know when you started an assignment, and so the spreadsheet can calculate when that assignment ends and finishes any associated cooldowns. To insert a timestamp, select Timestamp -> Insert Timestamp.

16. Once the timestamp is inserted, the spreadsheet shows how much time remains until the assignment completes. If the assignment is repeatable, there will also be a cooldown timer.

17. If an assignment is part of a chain, the assignment will have a dropdown menu that will let you select which part of the chain you are doing or need to do next. You need to manually increment this number as you progress through the assignment chain.

18. Most of the assignments in the left side column are chain missions. Non-chain missions are trackable by using the Custom Tracking section.

19. You can change which assignments you track by selecting new assignments in the dropdown menu.

20. You can keep custom track of many assignments. Assignments showing as not tracked are only available from a certain contact, and have personal availability timers. If other assignments are available, an abbreviation for the sector will show. Keep in mind, availability comes from an external spreadsheet updated by players traveling throughout the game. Sometimes the data they provide is erroneous.

21. Directly above the Custom Tracking section is a row titled The *Interactive* Path to 2409. When you do the associated trivia assignment at Starfleet Academy, you can use the dropdown menu to select the volume and chapter of the question you receive. The spreadsheet will then show you the correct answer.

22. The next section on the character spreadsheet contains a checklist of special and unique duty officers. Each time you obtain one of these duty officers, mark it off. It doesn't matter what you put into the box, since it will automatically give it the green color. I use a capital X for duty officers you cannot get more than one of, but I put numbers for those I can get more than one of.

23. If you click on the tab at the bottom called Account Overview, it brings up a page able to show the data from all your other character pages.

24. However, you first need to tell it which pages to pull the character data from. Where it says FED Character at the top, replace that with the name of the character page you just made.

25. You can then add sections for other characters. It doesn't matter which sections are FED or KDF since it goes by the name at the top.

Those are all the primary capabilities of the DOFFTREKKER spreadsheet. There are a few other capabilities, but you'll figure those out on your own if you decide to use them. Good luck. Keep doffing!
Spomek
Leader

Re: DOFFing Resources

Postby Spomek » August 30th, 2012, 7:10 pm

Bel this is great. I have mine up and running just fine.

A couple of minor details that may help others:

In step 15, you might note that you must first click in the "time stamp started" box (you do have it selected in the image, but does not draw your eye) before you perform the Insert Time Stamp function.

A similar thing might be noted for steps 17 and 19. the drop down arrow does not appear unless you click in the box.

All in all your DOFFTREKKER For Dummies is a complete success. If I can do it from these directions, anyone can. :D
Spomek
Leader

Postby Spomek » August 30th, 2012, 7:12 pm

Oh, and remind everyone to save as a favorite so they can quickly get back to it.
Spomek
Leader

Postby Spomek » August 30th, 2012, 7:33 pm

I have run out of columns on the Account Overview page (I have too many Captains). How do you add more columns?
daBelgrave
Leader

Postby daBelgrave » August 30th, 2012, 10:55 pm

Spomek wrote:I have run out of columns on the Account Overview page (I have too many Captains). How do you add more columns?
Unfortunately, I don't think the average user can easily add more columns.