Opinions about the Kobali?

General discussion regarding Star Trek Online.

Moderator: Fleet Leaders

daBelgrave
Leader

Opinions about the Kobali?

Postby daBelgrave » October 18th, 2014, 9:33 am

Is it just me, or does anyone else not like the Kobali?

Without getting into the storyline, theirs is a species that reproduces through natural means, but technologically by reanimating and genetically altering dead alien corpses. My opinion is that they are a dead species that has used technology to temporarily circumvent survival of the fittest. There is also the moral and ethical dilemma of stealing dead alien corpses. This can be a violation of some of the deepest held beliefs of other species and cultures. The Kobali know this, and yet they continue. Upon meeting outsiders, they hide their "reproductive" methods. Upon discovery, the Kobali are highly apologetic but try to blame their moral reprehensibility on the outsiders' refusal to be understanding of their needs, not their own actions. This is despite outsiders trying to be understanding and cooperative. I'm sorry, but if I blatantly violated someone else's beliefs or customs, it is my problem, not their inability to understand. The Kobali need to accept this and let their species finally die off.
Arion

Re: Opinions about the Kobali?

Postby Arion » October 18th, 2014, 2:57 pm

daBelgrave wrote:Is it just me, or does anyone else not like the Kobali?
They debuted on Voyager. Of COURSE I don't like them.
Arion

Postby Arion » October 23rd, 2014, 8:11 am

And now... here there be (soft) spoilers.

I can almost see Starfleet being willing to go along with what the Kobali are doing... but the Romulan Republic and the Klingon Empire should be nuking them from orbit.

To a Klingon, death in glorious battle is a warrior's final reward.

To the Romulans... well, let's just say that the practice of keeping members of another species in pods to help grow your next generation is something of a touchy subject. It's bad when the Elachi do it. It's bad when the Kobali do it.

I cannot begin to fathom what the hell Cryptic was thinking with this script, since a lot of time and effort was devoted to the "help the Kobali" battlezone... while insuring that the Kobali themselves do ever-more to insure that you;d sooner shoot them than look at them.
Ranger_Ryu

The Kobali discussion

Postby Ranger_Ryu » November 8th, 2014, 6:25 pm

Since I know this is a subject our esteemed leader hates and due to a recent Doctor Who story :P So where do you guys stand on having the Delta Alliance sacrificing themselves to aid the Kobali against the Vandwauur due to their.....shall we say unique form of reproduction.With the issue first being bought to the attention of the Federation due to the incident of Ensign Lyndsay Ballard
daBelgrave
Leader

Re: The Kobali discussion

Postby daBelgrave » November 9th, 2014, 9:57 am

Ranger_Ryu wrote:Ensign Lyndsay Ballard
Starfleet honors their dead by sending them on their final journey in a torpedo. This honors both the folks who believe the body was nothing more than a sack of meat, and those who wish to remember their fallen loved one. When survivors look out into the stars, they can know with certainty that the person they lost is somewhere out there, still on their final journey. The Kobali turn this around. They take the body from its final journey, and change it into their image. How would you feel if every time you looked out into the stars you knew your loved one was no longer on their final journey, but was now the host of some stranger?
Arion

Postby Arion » November 10th, 2014, 1:27 am

It's the grave-robbing without asking that really sticks in the craw.

After all, yeah, the Kobali require corpses (of other species, no less, makes me wonder how they haven;t already gone extinct), but most cultures? Not cool with having the remains of their loved ones walking around speaking with someone else's voice.

In short: I only help the Kobali because the game forces me to.
daBelgrave
Leader

Postby daBelgrave » November 10th, 2014, 1:00 pm

Arion wrote:It's the grave-robbing without asking that really sticks in the craw.
I expect quite a few other species and cultures might actually be willing to work out a deal if the Kobali would actually ask.
Arion

Postby Arion » November 10th, 2014, 6:06 pm

daBelgrave wrote:I expect quite a few other species and cultures might actually be willing to work out a deal if the Kobali would actually ask.
Once the Klingons have done their death rituals, a corpse is just meat- but you gotta wait out the ak'voh! Or else. :twisted:
The Vulcans don't seem to have a hell of a lot of funerary traditions.
A lot of humans- especially Star Trek enlightened humans- would be fine with it.

Buuuuuuut the Ferengi would be LIVID at the appropriation of property.
Doubt the Bajorans would be big fans.
daBelgrave
Leader

Postby daBelgrave » November 10th, 2014, 7:06 pm

Arion wrote:
daBelgrave wrote:I expect quite a few other species and cultures might actually be willing to work out a deal if the Kobali would actually ask.
Buuuuuuut the Ferengi would be LIVID at the appropriation of property.
I am sure the Kobali could come to an agreement with the Ferengi to buy the deceased. It never hurts to ask, but taking without asking AND getting permission is a problem.