MEDLOG 0771-79657-10-75

Your character traveling throughout the Quadrant.

Moderator: Fleet Leaders

daBelgrave
Leader

Stardate 83458.41

Postby daBelgrave » January 24th, 2014, 11:51 am

Medical Report - U.S.S. Carneades - Sickbay 8
Attending Doctor: Sururo, Ens., Xenomedicine Student

Patient ID: 0771-79657-10-75
Name: One of Twelve
Species: Borg, Human
Height: 180 cm

Notes:
83458.41—Met with test subject for the first time. Established baseline health parameters. Activated activity monitors to establish time-based health parameters and detect medical anomalies. Test subject will be required to have activity monitors in in near proximity to her at all times.

83459.16—I just finished familiarizing myself with the test subject’s medical file. I can see why I needed that extensive background security check in order to conduct this study, and I still cannot get access to much of her information.
daBelgrave
Leader

Stardate 83448.05

Postby daBelgrave » January 24th, 2014, 11:52 am

Psychological Profile - U.S.S. Carneades
Attending Psychologist: Petralla Wegere, PsyD; Starfleet Medical

Notes:
83448.05—One of Twelve has never been on a Federation starship, at least while conscious, so she is attending the Command School’s ship-based training center on the U.S.S. Carneades, which is more like a small space station than a starship. It will never leave Sol System, but is still capable of traveling slowly through the area for training purposes. One of Twelve will have difficulty adjusting now that she is taking all her classes alongside other students. They learn slower, and are not as efficient as she is. Mr. Sodu is also unable to continue taking One and Two on daily excursions. Starfleet Medical Academy also conducts training on this facility so One of Twelve will participate in a study into the unique medical requirements of Liberated Borg. Specifically assigned to her is Ensign Sururo, who I briefed just a short bit ago.
daBelgrave
Leader

Earthdate 2406-06-09 09:35 PST

Postby daBelgrave » January 24th, 2014, 11:52 am

Medical Report - Starfleet Medical
Attending Doctor: Maredith Q. Smith-Allen, MD; Starfleet Medical

Species: Borg, Human
Height: 180 cm

Notes:
09:35 PST (UTC-8)—One of Twelve is in perfect health, with all implants appearing to function as expected. She is medically cleared for transfer to Starfleet Command School and fit for all flight requirements.

09:40 PST (UTC-8)—Note, Petralla Wegere, PsyD, Starfleet Medical
One of Twelve demonstrates adequate psychological health. She requires work in areas of interpersonal relationships, but continues to improve. She is psychologically cleared for transfer to Starfleet Command School and fit for all flight requirements.

09:45 PST (UTC-8)—Note, Tuyo Allaron, Adm, Starfleet Intelligence
The security check for One of Twelve has been waived. Our security team will continue to provide protection for and against her. She is cleared for immediate transfer to Starfleet Command School and all flight training requisites.
daBelgrave
Leader

Earthdate 2406-06-02 17:13 PST

Postby daBelgrave » January 24th, 2014, 11:53 am

Psychological Profile - Starfleet Academy

Notes:
17:13 PST (UTC-8)—One of Twelve and Two of Twelve graduated from Starfleet Academy last weekend, both within the top ten percent. Since they have no family or relatives in Starfleet, they were congratulated and promoted to Ensign by their sponsor, Aennik Okeg, President of the Federation, who also took time to speak during the ceremony. Unfortunately, they find it difficult to socialize and celebrate without the near proximity of their closest acquaintances, so they seemed to grow sullen every time myself, Mr. Sodu, and their several friends were not near enough to talk to them. They soon head to Command School, where they will participate in classes at the same speed as all the other officers for the rest of the year.
daBelgrave
Leader

Earthdate 2406-05-26 00:00 UTC

Postby daBelgrave » January 24th, 2014, 11:54 am

AUTOMATED RECORD UPDATE
daBelgrave
Leader

Earthdate 2406-05-06 11:45 UTC

Postby daBelgrave » January 24th, 2014, 11:54 am

Medical Report, Kutrizian Sodu, Consultant

When it comes to laboratory-created life, one of the first questions we ask is about the length of the lifespan. At this point, One of Twelve and Two of Twelve are nearly five years old, but matured to the point that they has the knowledge and body of an adult human close to twenty-five years old, with the bulk of that maturation taking place within the first few months of existence. Within carbon-based humanoid species, the determinator for lifespan is a telomere, the nucleotide sequence that caps the end of DNA strands. In layman’s terms, these shorten each time a cell divides. When a person’s cells are no longer able to divide, the cells will die, increasing the likelihood of that person’s death.

What has been confounding me for the past year is that One and Two both have very short telomeres. Their scientifically calculated lifespans should be about two years, so they have already lived twice their life expectancy. Short telomeres are also associated with cancers, which is very likely an infliction the Borg wish to prevent in their drones, and actively do so with nanoprobes. My belief, based on my research in this area combined with recent discoveries about their nanoprobes, is that the purpose of these short telomeres is so the creations of Project [REDACTED] had a shelf life, a sort of guarantee to the Borg Collective that they would eventually die naturally if the Borg Collective lost control.

The problem then, was maintaining telomere length throughout the entire lifespan, as originally planned by the Borg Collective. Generally, an enzyme called telomerase can repair telomeres, but One and Two lack this in any significant quantity. The answer, it seems resides once again in their nanoprobes, which are technically too large to operate except from outside the cellular structures. These seem to be able to manufacture and insert into the cell nucleases that specifically target and lengthen the telomeres. One and Two are no longer living out their natural lifespans. Instead, they are being kept alive by nanoprobe functions that could [REDACTED].

12:00 UTC—Note, Tuyo Allaron, Adm, Starfleet Intelligence
Due to the sensitive topic, the rest of this report has been redacted. Please submit valid requests for this report through Starfleet Intelligence’s Task Force Omega department.
daBelgrave
Leader

Earthdate 2406-05-05 19:12 PST

Postby daBelgrave » January 24th, 2014, 11:57 am

Notes:
19:12 PST (UTC-8)—One of Twelve is in her final month at Starfleet Academy, and is set to graduate as one of the fastest-progressing students in the history of the academy, finishing the full four years’ worth of coursework in just over a year. She has come quite a long way from the brusque, broken drone she was when we found her, to the Starfleet Officer she is about to become. She has quite a few rough edges, but no one ever fully removes those. With that in mind, she will need to deal with those rough edges. Her Borg worldview is too great a part of her that adjusting her thinking to fit the Federation’s core values is probably going to be a lifelong process, for her, and for us. She will perform her duties well, and try to have as little negative effect on others as she can, but there will be times when her rough edges ruffle feathers, rock the boat, or instigate conflict.

20:00 PST (UTC-8)—Note, Tuyo Allaron, Adm, Starfleet Intelligence
Mrs. Wegere, is One of Twelve ready to advance to Command School?

20:22 PST (UTC-8)—Reply to Note, Petralla Wegere, PsyD, Starfleet Medical
Admiral Allaron, One of Twelve would say she could perform adequately. My concern is not that she is unready, but that the style of her command would cause problems with your average Starfleet Officer or crewman. I have no doubt she will try her best to maintain smooth relationships with subordinates, but at this point she expects a higher level of quality and efficiency from others than is reasonable. Command School will not be a problem for One of Twelve; it is actually commanding that will be the problem.

20:28 PST (UTC-8)—Reply to Note, Tuyo Allaron, Adm, Starfleet Intelligence
Mrs. Wegere, you know the position of Starfleet Intelligence on this. I understand you oppose the use of her as a ‘super weapon’ for reasons relating to her past, but keep in mind that we believe her to be a very valuable asset in our war with the Klingons. She was designed and engineered to command not only starships, but entire battle groups. I know that trusting her is extremely precarious considering her past, but with the Federation facing a lengthy and protracted conflict with the Klingons, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.

21:45 PST (UTC-8)—Reply to Note, Kutrizian Sodu
I presume that last statement was meant to be appended with, “no pun intended.”

21:47 PST (UTC-8)—Reply to Note, Tuyo Allaron, Adm, Starfleet Intelligence
Mr. Sodu, do you have anything worthwhile to add?

21:50 PST (UTC-8)—Reply to Note, Kutrizian Sodu
Sorry, Sir. I am finishing up a report, and should have it tomorrow.
daBelgrave
Leader

Earthdate 2406-04-07 18:35 PST

Postby daBelgrave » January 24th, 2014, 11:57 am

Notes:
18:35 PST (UTC-8)—As she claimed she would, One of Twelve received the top prize at this year’s science competition. Her project was a simulation of how to reprogram and activate a large batch of inert standard Borg nanoprobes to operate with a limited lifespan and non-replication using a pre-programmed modulated pulse from a submicron scanner. She said the primary purpose would be medical in nature, and with hypospray application, could be used to quickly regenerate an injured person without assimilation. Naturally, Starfleet Intelligence seized the simulation shortly after the competition, but it received enough exposure that research on medical nanoprobes will probably take place in a variety of laboratories throughout the Federation. Initially, I thought this was another attempt to demonstrate her superiority over the other students, but then I realized the goal of her project conflicted with how everyone expects her to act toward others. She provided us with a way to save lives, when we only expected she would think to take lives. I believe this is a very vivid sign that her surgery in January was successful.
daBelgrave
Leader

Earthdate 2406-03-03 18:38 PST

Postby daBelgrave » January 24th, 2014, 11:58 am

Notes:
18:38 PST (UTC-8)—One of Twelve is doing very well in the science classes she is taking, so I encouraged her to compete in this year’s competition in two weeks to see which cadet can put together an experiment that has the most potential to change the way we do things. She said she already has an idea, and knows for certain it could change the quadrant. I look forward to seeing what she comes up with. I think it very interesting that One of Twelve has quite a few problems with her classes involving histories for various key planets in the Federation. She already knows all the wars mentioned in the classes, but her interpretations of the strategies used and the outcomes sometimes vary greatly from the traditional interpretations taught here at the academy. If she believes the Battle of Gettysburg was lost on the first day rather than the second or third, she has a very good reason to support her belief, and is not afraid to contradict the course materials. To her benefit, the historians teaching the classes are actually giving her credit on tests if she supports her answers, and sometimes approach her for observations on other battles. They seem to be putting quite a bit of weight behind One of Twelve’s strategic knowledge, and will probably reevaluate quite a few battles over the next few years.
daBelgrave
Leader

Earthdate 2406-02-03 22:13 PST

Postby daBelgrave » January 24th, 2014, 11:59 am

Notes:
22:13 PST (UTC-8)—This was an interesting evening. Rather than primarily talk about their development, we went on an excursion tonight. Mr. Sodu suggested I would probably gain more insight into their personality if I observed them in a public place, so tonight he took us to a fancy beachside eatery in New Guinea, that was serving lunch. Supposedly, he takes them to a new place every day, usually at lunch, so they frequently find themselves exposed to something new in various timezones. Personally, I think Mr. Sodu is just going down a list of restaurants in a tourist guidebook to Earth in his own endeavor to enjoy as much of this planet as possible before he retires to Risa. One and Two, however, find it very interesting, although their Borg mannerisms tend to worry the locals. As observed during their time at the LBRC facility, they try new foods to see if they can find more molecular components to which they are allergic or cause a toxic reaction with their unique physiological and technological distinctiveness, their description, not mine. They did not find anything tonight, however. What I found most interesting was their manner of ordering. They read the menu, and apparently chose to try a meal with replicated cuttlefish. When ordering, however, One of Twelve asked for replicated Sepia latimanus and a glass of lime-flavored electrolytic solution, neither of which were understood by our server. She is being too precise for standard social encounters. I had to explain there was no need to be scientific when it is easier for someone to understand a request for replicated cuttlefish and a glass of lime juice. She will attempt to do as I recommend, but will find it difficult to break the habit. I think Mr. Sodu has been urging them into doing this type of thing for his own enjoyment.

22:33 PST (UTC-8)—Note, Kutrizian Sodu
I do not!

22:34 PST (UTC-8)—Note, Tuyo Allaron, Adm, Starfleet Intelligence
A quick check with Lieutenant Commander Tdurkan indicates Mr. Sodu has never encouraged this behavior. He has, however, never made an attempt to stop it. There will be no further accusations on this matter.